Thursday, November 25, 2010

NUMBER 9 Covet or Desire

One of the Ten Commandments in the bible says 'Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors wife', and I think this is a good rule of law to try to follow.

For most of my adult life I have thought that I have been guilty of this more times than I could count, and I think that I am not alone. Actually if I had just taken the time, long ago, to pick up my dictionary and read the definition of 'covet' I would have concluded that I have never coveted a neighbors wife, nor anybodies wife.

Now I must admit that I have had desire in my heart for many a wives, but to covet them, I have not. I cannot remember ever coveting anything that was not mine, and I think that it would behoove everyone to read the complete definition of 'covet' and to ponder over it for a moment. To desire or lust for another is not the same thing as coveting them. You must desire beyond reason, with envy, in order to covet.

Envy is the real culprit in the mix. It is this envy that leads one to act beyond reason.

I don't remember ever hearing a preacher elaborate on the difference between mere desire and coveting. I think that most preachers think that there is not a dimes worth of difference between covet, desire and lust. They seem to think that all three are sins and somewhat one and the same thing.

I think that desire and lust are natural responses to beauty but I think coveting is as a result of invalid thinking. The only natural thing about coveting is that it is a human condition to which we sometimes act out after a period of invalid thinking. Coveting is invalid thinking.

We cannot stop lusting and desiring. and I wouldn't want to, but we should adjust our thinking if we find ourselves coveting that which does not belong to us.

I say, don't covet!!!

Finton

No comments:

Post a Comment