Friday, May 28, 2010

How do you define or perceive exactly what constitutes an artist? Do you believe , that if someone knows how to draw, paint or manipulate other materials such as clay, stone or steel or any kind of material in order to reproduce something that already exists in the real world, that that talent makes that person an artist?

I am not sure that talent is the criteria necessary to qualify one as calling themselves an artist. The term 'ARTIST' has been thrown around, in my opinion, just as recklessly as the word 'LOVE'. I don't think that I love popcorn, ice creme or green beans, but I might really love lobster. I think there is much more to the concept of 'LOVE' than the loose way we use it, and likewise I believe that we use the term 'ARTIST' much too loosely.

The 'PASSION FOR FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION' is the crucial element (sine qua non) requisite to qualify yourself as an artist, of course this being my opinion.

We can look at drawings of children, and readily you can see that their drawing talent has yet to be developed. You can, however, if you pay closer attention to the content discover that some of these children possess a greater "FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION' than the majority of the other children. These children, if nurtured in the arts but not harnessed will in my opinion be more likely to develop into potentially great artists.

I do not mean to imply that talent is unimportant to become a successful artist , but to the contrary one needs to develop his skills as much as possible. The more skilled you are in the use of your chosen medium the more freedom you can experience and the more capable and powerful your passions will surface.

I have read a little book call"ART & FEAR" by David Bayles & Ted Orland and I think that it would behoove anyone interested in the arts to pick up a copy and read. I think it would give you a greater insight as to what an artist encounters when his passions compel him or her to produce works that might cause a public or family outcry of dissent and even at times violent outbursts of rage.

It truly is sad that sometimes when an artist finally reaches that point in life that he makes that decision to freely express his true feelings about life and the human condition he finds himself alone because most of his friends and family and society don't want to see or hear about 'His Freely Expressed Feelings'. If a truth does not sound pleasing to some people they don't want anything to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment