Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Number 20 ART, My way or Your Way

I know that I produce a wide range or genre of art and I attract a diverse audience of art lovers.

Much of my art is acceptable among the vast majority of viewers even if the art does nothing for them. Sometimes artists meet people that are just not affected by much of anything, much less art, and then there are times that your art really challenges the viewers to such a level that they express much disapproval in certain pieces of your art. This has happened to me numerous times.

I have been advised by many individuals that 'If I would just do something different' I would probably sell more art. Well, I must give them much credit for their advice because I agree with them wholeheartedly, but that kind of art is so boring and non eventful to most people. I want to say something to the viewer, I want to communicate with them, I want to challenge many of their preconceived notions about a wide range of social issues that seem to be plaguing our nation and the world. I don't want my art to sing you a lullaby putting you into a deep sleep, I want it to awaken you from your sleepwalking, I want to loose you from your chains of bondage in hopes that you can live your life more abundantly and free from the guilt of enjoying many of the pleasures of life.

I suppose art can be many things to many people. I hear a lot of people use the term 'ART' in describing many things and activities, and I suppose that in their minds these things and activities are art, but to me much of what they call art has nothing to do with art at all. Art is unique, art is magical, it is difficult to describe, yet a discerning eye can always recognize it. Art Effects your mood, your emotions and your feelings long before it reaches the intellect.

Now we must always keep in mind that there are many poor souls that seem to never recognize art even if you put it right before their eyes. Their awareness seems to be so very shallow, and sad as it is, this also is a part of the human condition.

I have never understood how some artists try to produce art that they 'Think' the public in general might want to buy. I suppose some artist are fairly successful at that, but I personally would feel like I was prostituting my talent.

I have feelings, and I have emotions and beliefs and opinions about so many ethical, religious, political and social issues for which I am compelled to address through my art. If I chose not to address these issues in my art I think I would feel neglectful. I believe that I would have little respect for myself for wasting so much of my talent producing meaningless art.

I do not wish to imply that all art must address these religious, ethical, philosophical and social issues, because I understand that form and content are also important to our enjoyment of life on a daily basis. Beautiful forms and colors touch us in a very special, settling way that is truly invaluable to our outlook on life in general.

That which I am trying to share is that if you are content and happy devoting your talents to beautiful form and color, this is exactly what you should do. You will probably be more financially successful and popular. Society needs your styles of art also, but if you are drawn to the many controversial issues that plague this world I think you should resist the more popular directions in your art.

Money and popularity are comforting, but are they satisfying to your psyche and your emotional compulsions to address these important worldly issues? Do we artists bare a responsibility to our consciences to shout to the world our deepest feelings and emotions with regard to the many social injustices imposed on the innocent by individuals, religions, radicals and governments? Or should everybody just keep their mouths shut and allow these injustices to go unaddressed?

Each person, I believe, has a responsibility to speak out and express his or her innermost convictions on social issues. I believe it is very important to their personal growth.

Most people in any given society are passive by nature and do not cause major problems, but within these societies are always a few radicals ready to run roughshod over the meek and the passive and then sometimes these societies fall into dictatorships, or at the very least some form of minority rule.

A sculptor can produce a work of art that if placed in the public view so that passerby's can take a moment to contemplate it's message, the society can experience an awakening in a very powerful way. Art does have the power to awaken people to the realities of injustices . And this awakening within a community or society can bring a people together for the benefit of the people as a whole.

I have deep religious, ethical and political convictions that I think would be a benefit to society by awakening them to a greater sense of freedom. This is the main focus of my work.

I must admit that I am bored by most art. Much art is executed with excellent skill and craftsmanship, and I'm sure that many art lovers would praise it, but in my opinion it would be boring. This does not mean that it is not good art, it just means that I am not moved by it.

I have a very hard time with taking other peoples advice that I should produce art more in line with the norm. I detest this line of thinking and I do not think that that will ever become my approach to art. I must, I am compelled to produce art that aligns with my thought processes.

You should always produce art that aligns with your thought processes. I believe this approach always leads to your best works.

Finton

1 comment:

  1. "Art does have the power to awaken people to the realities of injustices. And this awakening within a community or society can bring a people together for the benefit of the people as a whole." I believe this, too, Fenton. You commented on a piece of my work on FB and started quite a dialog there. Perhaps you should create a FB Page that is for this type of thing. I would join and I think many others would. Thank you for what you do-- your art and your writing.
    Onward! Brenda Sherburn

    ReplyDelete