Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Number 13 Do unto Others

My mother always taught us kids to do unto others as we would have them do unto us. Most people know that that came right out of the Christian bible but I think that this philosophy is probably taught in most religions throughout the world. I use to think this was just a Christian philosophy but over the years I have given it much thought, and I have come to believe that it is truly a universal philosophy that resides in the hearts and minds of the human race.

I believe that this innate impulse is the thing that brought people to the point of being a social entity. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that most often if we are kind to others they will usually be kind to us.

I know that there are a number of arguments against my hypotheses but at least it is arguable and I would welcome much dialogue on the subject.

There are at least two factors to consider in opposition to my hypotheses, fear and invalid thinking. We do shy away from others whom we do not know especially if they appear aggressive and stronger or unruly, and when this fear sets in our reactions are guided by invalid thinking. These misguided reactions can easily escalate into violence.

I believe that we humans are predominantly passive and followers by nature rather than being aggressive and leaders. Some of these leaders are kind and caring and strive to bring people together for the good of all and establish a peaceful and safe society whereas everyone might reach their full potential. Then, there are those leaders that are aggressive by nature and they have greed in their hearts and a disposition to rule with an iron fist and a sword and fear.

If we humans could learn to resist fear and start doing unto others as we would have them do unto us we would have a much happier life.

Unfortunately the fear of pain and suffering are such powerful forces in the world, and I suppose, they will always exist as long as we are human. After all, they are a part of the human condition.

Finton

No comments:

Post a Comment