Sunday, May 22, 2011

NUMBER 36: Shallow thinking / Deep thinking

I just made a comment, a day or so ago, on my facebook that I had a hunger to talk with others about the meaningful things of life, and I said that I wondered if I was more shallow than I thought I was.

Well, I got a few responses and was glad that they responded. I hope that they did not think that I was making an attack on being shallow because I do believe that we need to be shallow at times. The pendulum does swing in all of us. I know that I am shallow at times and sometimes it is appropriate and maybe a little entertaining if intended to be, but most of the time shallow thinking inevitably leaves a mark right on your forehead. We all probably know that our reputations usually precede us, so, do we really want to be known as being shallow?

I am shallow enough without trying to be shallow. The times I try to be shallow I usually look stupid, somewhat like a non comedian trying to tell a joke to a group and everybody is laughing at the joke teller but not at the joke. I admit that being shallow is sometimes cute, and also poorly telling a joke is sometimes cute, but I tend to feel more compassion for these shallow thinkers and poor joke tellers.

I do not like coming across as being shallow but I sometimes do, and I wish I was a good comedian, but a good comedian I am not. Most of the time I try not to be shallow, and when I tell a joke I try my best to tell it funny.

It is a goal of mine to become less shallow and become more funny because, perhaps in my shallow way of thinking, I think I might become a more well rounded individual.

My whole point in this little blog is to point out that we love pleasurable things and moments so much that we tend to get wrapped up in, or swooned by all the lullabies. Just sing us one more lullaby, they keep me so comfortable.

I do not believe that we should live every moment of our days in a somber or serious manner, but, do you think that we could improve the lives of ourselves or others if we engaged one another in a little more serious dialogue concerning the human conditions?

If a little more serious dialogue could bring about just 1% more relief to the world problems would it be worth it? If this dialogue could bring people closer together, if it could dismantle some of the high walls of ignorance, if dialogue could reduce piety and judgmental attitudes do you think our investment would have been well spent?

There is much pain and suffering throughout the world and I know that it seems hopeless that each of us can have a real impact on their relief but is it worth a little serious dialogue in hopes that it might urge you and I to act in a positive way to help those in need, or, is a little serious dialogue too uncomfortable for us? Are our comfort zones kept more secure by just listening to all the lullabies? Perhaps, they help us to more easily fall asleep?

The Dalai Lama spoke at the University of Arkansas at Fayettville recently and stated that "this aught to be the century of dialogue". That is such a true statement. I think he meant that the whole of societies should embrace and engage in peaceful dialogue, not just our leaders.


Finton

No comments:

Post a Comment